Total Pageviews

Friday, January 20, 2023

Dragan my attitude around the Dragon

Don't Give Up Never Surrender


Final sculpted parts and pieces
      The last half of 2022 has been a whirl wind of important issues needing my attention. This is of course life and it didn;t include any creative endeavor  such as, pattern making, fabric sculpting or art in general.  I did managed to get enough sculpting done for one Christmas show.  I had to push myself through every stitch.  Every artist goes through this. Life happens and when you get back to art you just can't be creative.   I thought I would never get my mojo back but to my surprise I did. This is about not giving up. Just  push yourself through the mind block weather you want to or not. 

     My husband collects dragons,  I make him at least one a year. Several weeks before Christmas I sat down and drew out a dragon pattern. My heart was not it it nor was I in the mood. There was no more time to waist. I must admit the pattern was not thought out very well. I usually spend several weeks thinking it through.  After cutting, sewing, messing around with the results it was obvious the parts and pieces were better suited for a sea horse than a dragon. I chucked all the parts in my abandon body parts box. (I can tell you about that box at another time).

Pined together and ready for assemblage 

I took some time and thought about the style and type of dragon I wanted to make, I then sat down with more resolve and purpose.  Taking a breath thinking each body part through I went back to the drawing table. Not only did I draw out body parts, I drew out more parts than I needed just incase I wanted to change the design.  When in the middle of sculpting I don't like to stop and make more pieces.  The pieces I don't use always go into the "Abandon Body Part" box.  =t.  

I like to sculpt details giving texture, It comes to life and gives it depth.  Each pieces is wired for strength, including the claws. As the individual parts were sculpted I started to feel my creative juices flowing. I just could not wait to get it done.  I am always excited when I making a new sculpture and this feeling was a welcoming feeling.




I am no longer Dragan my attitude around the Dragon So if you are dragging around with you creative slump, keep on trying, I just about gave up but here I am,  at the completion on this project I am renewed and ready to dive into my sketch book and see which sketches  I can make come to life. By the way my husband loves his dragon. - Cyndy


No comments:

Post a Comment